Baker McKenzie law firm has partnered with Terre des Hommes to create a resource which aims to accelerate the release of children from detention around the world during COVID-19.
Children’s rights are a subset of human rights with particular attention to the rights of special protection and care afforded to minors.
The Terre des Hommes International Federation is a network of ten national organisations working for the rights of children and to promote equitable development without racial, religious, political, cultural or gender-based discrimination.
The web page, which includes a policy and practice brief, as well as operational guidelines, aims to provide urgent guidance to those working in youth justice.
The resources provided summarise international legal instruments and regional mechanisms that are relevant to evaluating the circumstances of children in these settings, and present a set of policy recommendations, illustrated by practical examples of rapid response actions to realise children’s fundamental rights.
This project is part of a wider new initiative launched by Terre des hommes which aims to:
- Make children’s rights effective worldwide;
- Promote access to justice and participation of children in formal, and informal justice systems;
- Improve the connection between justice for children and child protection systems;
- Assess the use of deprivation of liberty and promoting non-custodial measures worldwide;
- Exchange practice-oriented strategies to reduce and prevent juvenile crime and proposing effective responses to recidivism.
The advocacy and voices pages, joint products of Terre des Hommes and Baker McKenzie, bring recommendations for policy makers through a policy and practice brief, and give technical advices for professionals thanks to operational guidelines for security forces, legal professionals and the social workforce.
Baker McKenzie is a multinational law firm headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Founded in 1949 as Baker & McKenzie, it has 77 offices in 46 countries, and over 6000 lawyers worldwide.
It is one of the largest law firms in the world by headcount and revenue.