Marta García Bel is an associate based in our Milan office. She is a member of our dispute resolution practice group and specializes in commercial and investment arbitration in Latin America and in white collar defence and corporate crime.
Marta advises clients in investor-state arbitrations conducted under the ICSID, ICSID Additional Facility, UNCITRAL and ICC rules. Her recent experience includes representing Governments and multinational companies with investments in Latin America, mainly in the electricity, oil & gas, energy, food distribution and telecommunications sectors.
During her time at Freshfields, Marta spent six months on secondment at Eni S.p.A, where she focused on energy-related disputes.
Furthermore, Marta also advises major banks and corporations, as well as their top executives and senior management, on corporate criminal liability and white collar crime matters, both in internal investigations carried out by Italian and foreign regulatory authorities and criminal proceedings before Italian courts.
Marta is fluent in Spanish, English, Italian, German and Catalan.
Marta’s recent experience includes advising:
– a family of Spanish investors in two parallel arbitration proceedings under the ICSID Additional Facility Rules and the UNCITRAL rules against Venezuela arising from the expropriation of their investments in the food importation and distribution sector and other measures;
– an international energy services company in two gas price review arbitrations under the UNCITRAL and ICC rules;
– the Republic of Guatemala in ICSID proceedings initiated by US investors in the electricity sector;
– a Mexican telecommunications multinational company in an arbitration claim against Colombia in relation to the expropriation of their assets;
– a primary financial institution in civil and criminal proceedings before Italian courts.
2010 – University Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona) (Law Degree, J.D.)
2011 – University Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona) (Master in Legal Sciences)
2012 – University Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona) (Ph.D. courses)
2012 – 2013 Visitor researcher at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
2010 – Admitted to the Barcelona Bar Association
2015 – Admitted to the Italian Bar (Avvocato stabilito)
The world’s biggest international organisations rely on us to help them make the right decisions in a fast-changing world. We combine the knowledge, experience and energy of the whole firm to solve our clients’ most complex challenges, wherever and whenever they arise.