Chun Kiat is a Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer with extensive experience in public and private mergers and acquisitions, including takeovers of public listed companies, share and asset sale and purchase, investments into mature corporations and start-ups, joint ventures and restructuring.
Chun Kiat represented clients on both buy-side and sell-side transactions across a variety of industries, in particular advising on complex, cross-border transactions that involved targets or acquirers from different geographies. Chun Kiat also represented investors and startups in connection with venture capital and other emerging company transactions.
Chun Kiat has substantial experience working in the real estate, internet, technology, engineering, services, energy and resource sectors. In particular, Chun Kiat has advised on the following key transactions:
- Acted for Tencent (a leading internet company listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited) in its US$1 billion investment in Flipkart Limited (an e-commerce company)
- Acted for CapitaLand (a real estate company listed on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited (“SGX-ST”)) in its divestment of 20 retail malls in the People’s Republic of China for approximately S$1.71 billion
- Acted for ams AG (a sensor solutions company listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange) in its approximately SS$1.22 billion acquisition of Heptagon Advanced Micro-Optics Pte. Ltd. (a micro-optics and sensing solutions provider)
- Acted for City Developments Limited (a real estate company listed on the SGX-ST) in its approximately S$977.6 million divestment of Nouvel 18 condominium
- Acted for United Industrial Corporation Limited in its approximately S$761 million voluntary unconditional cash offer for Singapore Land Limited (a property developer listed on the SGX-ST)
- Acted for Tata Communications International Pte. Ltd. in its sale to Singapore Technologies Telemedia Pte. Ltd of a 74% stake in its data centre business in India and Singapore worth approximately US$640 million
- Acted for China International Marine Containers (Group) Co., Ltd (a company listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange and the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited) in its approximately S$137.6 million reverse takeover of Pteris Global Limited (an airport equipment manufacturing company listed on the SGX-ST)
- Acted for L Capital Asia (the private equity arm of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton S.A) in its approximately US$100 million acquisition of Crystal Jade Culinary Concepts Group of Companies (a food and beverage group)
- Acted for Dymon Asia in its approximately S$74 million voluntary conditional cash offer for the shares of Select Group Limited (a food and beverage company listed on the SGX-ST)
- Acted for RGE Group (a resource-based industrial group) in its acquisition of Lwarcel Celulose E Papel S.a’s assets in São Paulo, Brazil, including its 250,000 ton pulp mill
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP is a law firm headquartered in Singapore, with affiliate offices in Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. Founded in 1976, it is a member firm of Rajah & Tann Asia, which is the largest network of law firms in Southeast Asia with over 700 lawyers and fee-earners.
Rajah & Tann has practices in banking, competition, corporate governance, corporate finance, dispute resolution, information technology, infrastructure, insolvency, insurance, mergers and acquisitions, shipping, telecommunications and trade. The firm is additionally known for its China, Japan and South Asia specific practice groups. Its network also includes R&T Asia Resources that procures project-specific in-house lawyers to support the firm’s clients, and R&T Technologies, a consulting firm that is focused on cybersecurity, data breach readiness and response, a virtual law academy and other legaltech services.
Rajah & Tann is regarded as one of the “Big Four” law firms in Singapore. Its clientele ranges from multinational and Fortune 500 corporations to emerging high-tech enterprises and start-ups. The firm is also a sole member from Singapore at Lex Mundi, an international professional services network.
The firm’s well known alumni include V.K. Rajah, Steven Chong and Sundaresh Menon. Eng Beng Lee was the managing partner from 2010 to 2019. Patrick Ang succeeded Eng Beng Lee as the managing partner in 2019 while Rebecca Chew is the deputy managing partner of the firm.