NJOROGE REGERU is the founder of the Firm. Mr. Regeru graduated from the University of Nairobi in November, 1985 with a Bachelor of Laws degree (Honours – Upper Division) and, thereafter undertook postgraduate studies at the Kenya School of Law where he qualified in September, 1986 with a Diploma in Law. On 13th October, 1986 he was admitted and enrolled as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya. For his Masters in Law programme, Mr. Regeru specialised in Company Law, International Economic Law, the Law of Finance and the Law of International Institutions.
Immediately after enrollment as an Advocate, Mr. Regeru went into private legal practice, concentrating on litigation and commercial matters. Over the years, Mr. Regeru has honed his legal skills in practice and gained wide-ranging experience and expertise in different areas of legal practice including Commercial Transactions, Corporate Matters, Arbitration, ADR and Commercial Litigation. During that time, Mr. Regeru has been involved in very substantial precedent-setting commercial litigation at the highest levels of the Kenyan Court system, namely: the High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.
Mr. Regeru is recognized as a seasoned practitioner in constitutional matters and election petitions. In connection with the latter, Mr. Regeru has been in the legal teams that defended successfully presidential election petitions in 2013 and 2017.
In 1995 Mr. Regeru was admitted as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators headquartered in London, UK and over the years has been intimately involved in diverse aspects of arbitration either as Arbitrator or counsel to parties. Related to this is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and mediation which are growth areas of dispute resolution and which Mr. Regeru has been closely involved with over the years. As a consequence of the foregoing, Mr. Regeru is associated with the local branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and he has been honoured to serve on its governing committee for two consecutive terms.
In 2005, Mr. Regeru undertook an extensive course in International Commercial Arbitration in Hong Kong under the auspices of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, United Kingdom. Upon conclusion of the same, Mr. Regeru was awarded a Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration. In addition, Mr. Regeru is a Chartered Arbitrator empanelled as such by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK.
Mr. Regeru deals on an ongoing basis with top-level government officers and officers of major business and banking institutions in the various spheres in which he has acted for them. Through the local, regional and international clientele that he serves, Mr. Regeru has developed a close network of professional contacts.
Mr. Regeru sits on the Board of Directors of several Companies and also serves as Company Secretary for a number of reputable companies.
The law firm of Njoroge Regeru & Company Advocates (hereinafter referred to as “the Firm”) is a reputable medium-sized legal practice based in serene, pleasant and quiet premises located on the outskirts of the City of Nairobi, Kenya. The firm has distinguished itself as a premier law firm rendering sterling legal services, in amongst other fields herein-after listed, Corporate and Commercial Law, Banking and Financial Services Law, Civil and Commercial Litigation, Constitutional and Judicial Review Litigation, Public Interest Litigation, Arbitration, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) including mediation and expert adjudication, Conveyancing and Securities Law, Corporate Restructuring including mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, to a wide spectrum of clients in Kenya, the region and internationally.
As a consequence, the Firm has gained wide recognition as a prestigious and effective purveyor of legal services in a timely, competent and efficient manner. It is a mark of such recognition that the Firm is listed in such prestigious and internationally acclaimed directories as, Chambers Global and IFLR 1000. In addition, the firm is a member of the international society of Primerus Law Firms, an organisation that brings together about 200 member firms in 40 countries. The members of the Firm have wide and varied experience and exposure in the practice of law. Over the years, they have been privileged to represent the diverse legal interests of a wide cross-section of valued clientele ranging from individual persons and small businesses to large multinational corporations, governmental institutions and statutory corporations, international organizations, local and international banks and development institutions.
In the process, the members of the Firm have gained invaluable experience in diverse fields of law as set out below.
Fields of Practice:
- Incorporation of companies and other business organizations including advice as to the choice of the ideal business organization to be registered, capitalization, structuring and re-structuring, guidance on relevant legislation affecting the new business venture including repatriation of profits and capital, remittances, consultancy fees, import/export laws, immigration law, labour and taxation.
- Commercial practice includes: acting for banking and corporate clients, both public and private in structuring credit facilities, advising on the law pertaining thereto, creation, registration and perfection of a wide range of securities, re-structuring of loans, realization of securities and assisting in the recovery of debts.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementing agreements for licensing, distribution, shareholders, stock sales, asset sales, merger and acquisition agreements and assisting in the establishment of joint ventures.
- Preparation of a wide range of commercial documents including merger agreements, contracts, leases, licences and other related documents.
- Advising and representing various banks and financial institutions in the establishment of banking business in Kenya including advising and guiding them on local banking laws and regulations, maintaining branches under foreign jurisdictions, capitalizing, repatriation of profits and capital remittance of debt in the light of local cultural, political and legal environments.
- Participation in privatisation, transfer of ownership of assorted business interests to local interests, disposal of foreign assets and investments and project financing.
- Representation of major commercial banks in syndicated and single bank loans to governments, international organizations and private borrowers.
- Representation of locally established branches and affiliates of major international and locally incorporated banks in their day-to-day operations including rendering legal opinions and advice, reviewing security documentation and advising generally on compliance with various legal requirements.
- Intellectual property matters including trademarks, copyrights and patents resulting in a close and beneficial working relationship with the Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI).
- Commercial litigation before various trial and appellate Courts on a wide range of matters including enforcement/realization of diverse securities such as Charges, Debentures, Guarantees, Bonds etc, Receiverships, Liquidations and bankruptcies.
- Extensive trial practice at all levels of the Kenyan Court system ranging from administrative tribunals to the Supreme Court on an extremely wide range of civil cases, criminal cases, public interest litigation, election petitions, debt collection, labour matters, judicial review proceedings, contractual claims, inquests, immigration cases, land cases, probate and succession and so on.
- Extensive experience in Constitutional matters including regular appearance in Constitutional References for assorted clients both private and public.
- Election petitions at the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court Levels.
- Participation in investigative and fact-finding tribunals and commissions such as the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into the Goldenberg Affair.
- International and domestic arbitration for local and international clients on a diverse range of disputes mainly of a commercial nature.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) on various commercial and non-commercial maters.
- Telecommunications in which connection the Firm acts for leading operators in Kenya and in the region.
- Public Procurement matters including advising clients on the legislation attendant thereto and involvement in the proceedings instituted in the Public Procurement Complaints, Review and Appeals Board.
- Voluntary, no-charge legal services usually extended to charitable, humanitarian or professional not-for-profit organisations. In the course of rendering the various legal services as summarised herein above, the members of the Firm have acted for and on behalf of a good number of reputable and prestigious institutions, both locally and internationally, public and private.