Karen M.M. Samuel is the holder of a Bachelors of Laws Degree, Honours, from the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados. She also holds a Legal Education Certificate from the Hugh Wooding Law School, Trinidad & Tobago, a post-graduate diploma in Law of the Sea from the Rhodes Academy, Greece, and has successfully completed the fellows arbitration course.
She was called to the Bar in Grenada in 2002, and at the British Virgin Islands, in 2011.
In May 2011, she set up this firm, Samuel Phillip & Associates, bringing to it experience gained in the legal industry in the following capacities:
– Judicial Clerk to the Chief Justice of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court, Castries, St. Lucia, 2001
– Associate Attorney-at-Law at the law firm of Grant, Joseph & Co., 2002-2005
– Attorney-at-Law at the law firm of Law Office of G.E.D. Clyne, 2006-2009
– Consultant to the Government of Grenada on Biodiversity, 2008-2009
– Senior Crown Counsel with the Attorney’s-General Chambers, St. George’s, Government of Grenada, 2009-2011
Her career path thus far has provided sound grounding in diverse areas of the law and to a wide cross-section of clients.
The distinction with which she has served her clients has been recognised by the National Award for the Most Outstanding Young Professional 2010.
Continuing education has been among her priorities in ensuring that her clientele benefits from new skills and new mindsets. As a legal professional, she regularly attends conferences, seminars and workshops in diverse areas such as: commercial law, financial services, and intellectual property conferences, environmental law issues, legislative drafting, trade law, as well as training in law reporting.
She has contributed to various publications, including:
– Lex Mundi’s Corporate Governance Project 2003
– International Financial Law Review 1000- Overview of the Securities Act 2000
– Judicial Procedures Project, Lex Mundi, World Bank, Harvard and Yale Universities, 2003 – May 2003 Quarterly Journal of Economics
– World Bank Doing Business Annual Reports
From time to time, she has served in various associations and endeavours, professional and otherwise, including: the Grenada Bar Association, the Bel Air Home for Children & Adolescents, the Girl Guides of Grenada, pro bono community work, and literacy programmes.
At present, she chairs the Appeal Commissioners, the tribunal that hears appeals for various tax types, and the NIS Appeals Tribunal.
Samuel Phillip & Associates was established in May 2011.
It is now staffed by two attorneys, Karen M. M. Samuel and Alicia C. Lawrence, who ensure that it delivers always a bespoke solution for each client.
Additionally, based on the needs of your matter, appropriate and effective collaborations will be made with other legal practitioners in order to deliver the best legal product to you.
The firm is emerging as a leading service-provider in the areas of employment/labour law, taxation, conveyancing, estate (including wills, probate and letters of administration), landlord and tenant law, company incorporation, civil litigation, debt collection and divorce settlements.
We are located at the Roundabout at the Upper Lucas Street/Lowthers’ Lane Intersection, easily accessible by private or public transportation.