William A. Tanenbaum is the Chambers-ranked Vice Chair of Health Care Technology & Innovative Security at Polsinelli PC. His practice focuses on IP and technology transactions and litigation including cybersecurity, technology development agreements, outsourcing, Health Care IT, data, artificial intelligence, and the IP and IT aspects of, and cybersecurity due diligence for, M&A and corporate transactions. Bill is a past President of the International Technology Law Association. He has “expertise in technology transactions that puts him at the very top tier of the market. He is a font of knowledge on creating new IT structures and has strong litigation experience.” (Who’s Who Legal)
Bill has earned the following professional rankings and recognition:
– Chambers ranked in Band One in Technology & Outsourcing in New York, in Band Two nationally and as a Leading Outsourcing Lawyer in its Global Edition. He is the only Health Care IT lawyer in Band One.
– Best of the Best USA’s List of the Top 30 IT lawyers in 2017
– One of six U.S. lawyers in the inaugural edition of Best Data Lawyers in Who’s Who Legal: Data 2018
– One of the Top Five IT Lawyers in the US, Who’s Who Legal in 2016
– “Lawyer of the Year” in IT in New York, US News & World Report/Best Lawyers in 2013
– 2017 “Cyber Security Law Expert” in New York, Global Law Experts
– Legal 500 “Leading Authority” on Technology and Outsourcing.
– IAM Strategy 300: The World’s Leading IP Strategists 2018
– Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders 2018
– “IP Star,” “Life Science Star,” and one of the “Clean Tech 100” (Managing IP Handbook 2018, LMG Life Science Guide 2018, and LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide)
– 2018 “List of the World’s Leading Technology Neutrals” administered by the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center; and Member of its, Board of Director
– Past Vice President and current Advisory Board member of SIM (NY Chapter), an international CIO industry association
– The Arent Fox Technology Transactions practice is ranked in Tier 1 in New York by US News & World Report
Clients endorse Bill as “a brilliant lawyer. I cannot imagine working with anyone else;” “brings extremely high integrity, a deep intellect, fearlessness and a practical, real-world mindset to every problem;” “makes excellent judgment calls;” (Chambers) “one of the best IP lawyers I have worked with” (Clean Tech Guide); and “highlighted for his expertise in cybersecurity and data licensing,” (Who’s Who Legal: Data 2018).
Bill negotiates IT and IP transactions in a wide range of industries. He handles the legal aspects of upgrading computer systems and integrating cybersecurity, cloud services, mobile technology, Big Data and the Internet of Things into existing IT systems and revenue-generating business operations. He handles life science agreements. Bill works closely with CIOs, Chief Security Officers and Chief Data Officers as well as corporate law departments. Bill handles IP and technology agreements for international clients doing business in the U.S.
Clients rely on Bill for IP litigation and his resourcefulness in settling disputes. In addition to negotiating favorable settlements, he led a team that won a patent litigation victory for a health care client at the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and won a leading patent case on summary judgment. He serves as an advocate in arbitration and as an arbitrator. He was appointed to the 2018 invitation-only, peer-vetted “List of the World’s Leading Technology Neutrals.” The List is administered by the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center. Bill is a member of the Board of Directors of the Center.
Bill founded and chairs PLI’s annual Health Care IT Conference, founded and co-chairs PLI’s annual Outsourcing Conference and speaks on Health Care IT at American Health Lawyer Association conferences, on IP Licensing and IT at PLI’s annual IP Law Institute and on data licensing at the World Enterprise Data/CDOvision Conferences. He is frequently invited to speak on cybersecurity, outsourcing and cloud services at other industry and legal conferences, including as a keynote speaker on “Data & Informatics” at a leading industry outsourcing conference.
Bar & Court Admissions:
– New York
– U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
– Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
– U.S. Supreme Court
– Cornell University Law School, JD
– Brown University, AB (Degree with Highest Honors, Phi Beta Kappa)