After completing his bachelor study (LLB) at the Başkent Universitiy Faculty of Law in 2005, Serkan Çatalpınar served as an intern lawyer then as a lawyer at the Kasaroğlu Law Offices until 2007, before settling in Brussels in 2007 and serving for the PECO desk at the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe as a representative of the Union of Turkish Bar Associations. After practising as a self-employed lawyer, he later served as a contract specialist at Aydın Yazılım ve Elektronik Sanayi Ltd, which is partnership of the American L3 Communications and Vestel Holding, and as a lawyer at the Yazıcı Law Offices. Since 2012, he has served as the Chief Contract Administrator of the FIDIC-based Cairo International Airport Project, of which Limak Construction Industry and Trading Co. is the main contractor. As of July 2015, he has been working at the Kurucu Law Offices, of which he is a founding partner.
His specialities are particularly concentrated on the fields of Construction Law (primarily FIDIC), International Commerce, Defence Industry, and Companies Law. Since the beginning of his professional life, Mr Çatalpınar has provided legal support to many local and foreign clients.
- 2008 – 2010 President of the Ankara Bar European Union Centre
- Ankara Bar International Law Congress, 2010 Regulatory Board Member
- TED Ankara College Alumni Association (2010)
- Member of Draft Advocacy Law Commission of Ankara Bar (2009)
- The European Law Students’ Association Ankara Member (2009)
- Free-Visa Europe Association Member (2009)
- Ankara Bar (2007)
- Turkish (mother-tongue)
- English (advanced level)
- Portuguese (intermediate level)
- Arabic (beginner)
Mr. Çatalpınar has specialised in the field of FIDIC-based construction law, both in the law offices he has worked and in the Cairo International Airport Project. He has been involved personally in the relevant legal processes of a construction project, gaining experience from the tender stage all the way up to the final acceptance of the project. Being a lawyer who has worked on a construction site, he offers clients not just legal but also operational experience.
During his construction site experience, he has conducted all the correspondence that the client carries out with the employer, engineer, sub-contractors and suppliers, managed claim sand variations,and conducted the defence of claims submitted by the employer and sub-contractors. Mr. Çatalpınar has personally represented, with his team consisting of lawyers and engineers, the client for preparing, negotiating, executing, and solving disputes related to the contracts that the client has signed with sub-contractors, suppliers, and service providers.
He gained experience in the field of Project Management by establishing the coordination between the Contracts Department, of which he was the manager, and the project technical teams and international consultants.
In the aforementioned Project, he served as the team leader of the client’s site team in the Dispute Board case that the client brought against the employer, and carried out the coordination with the international consultancy firm which was composed of engineer. In the aforementioned case, all of the client’s demands were accepted by the Dispute Board.
His field of speciality has been concentrated on construction law, and has worked for many years on the administration of contracts, particularly those of the FIDIC and FAR form. While managing FIDIC projects, he has had experience in correspondences which are of vital importance, claim management, contract management, meeting follow-ups, document management, and the management of variation, and has worked on the preparation, negotiation, follow-up, and termination of sub-contracts. Mr. Çatalpınar provides consultation to clients, particularly on FIDIC projects, starting with the bid preparation for tenders until the provisional acceptance and final acceptance processes, for setting up contracts, claim, DCC, planning, technical office, and cost control teams and support, supervision, and management of the same.
Alongside construction law, he has also been involved in many international projects:
- He was the head of the Turkish legal team managing the Gentaş Group of Companies’ acquisition of the Italian company SAFON S.r.l.. He also provides legal support for the projects of local and foreign companies both in Turkey and abroad, the establishment of business partnerships, and preparation, negotiation, and execution of technical agreements within the scope of the projects. Alongside this, he also works in the fields of companies’ law and international commerce.
- He has also served in the preparation and negotiations for the Sikorsky S-70i Contract, the Tactical Unmanned Air Vehicle (Catapult/Parachute) Project, the Aselsan ADOP-2000 Project 2nd Phase, the Aselsan Link-11B and ACO/ATO Library of the Air Defense Early Warning and Command and Control System Project, the Aselsan Developing Rugged Laser Printer and Rugged DVD Writer Project, and the Landing Platform Dock Project contracts in the Defence Industry with the title of Contract Specialist for Aydın Yazılım ve Elektronik Sanayi Ltd.
- He was a member of the legal team that worked for bringing the Formula 1 brand to Turkey.
- Alongside his legal work, he served as the president of the Ankara Bar European Union Centre between 2008 and 2010, worked on many international projects, implemented the intern exchange program with the German IRZ Foundation and the Madrid Bar, and with this, he enabled Turkish intern lawyers to be sent abroad. He was also one of the members of the Ankara Bar 2010 International Law Congress Regulatory Board.
- In 2009, he took on the position of Moderator of the Working Group on “Cooperation among Lawyers: A Network of Bar Associations in the Region “within the Project on “Combating Trafficking in Human Beings through Legal Assistance to Trafficked Persons and Enhanced Judicial Cooperation” by International Organization of Migration. and Chairman of the session on “Legal Assistance to Victims of Trafficking: Law and Practice” within the Project on “Combating Trafficking in Human Beings through Legal Assistance to Trafficked Persons and Enhanced Judicial Cooperation” by International Organization of Migration. Also in 2009, he represented the Ankara Bar Association on the International Workshop on “Court Management” within the Project on “Support to the Court Management System in Turkey”, implemented by the European Commission, Council of Europe and Ministry of Justice of Turkey. In 2007, during his works at the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe, he carried out coordination between the 32-member European Bars in various international projects, and due to this, he was able to bring to KURUCU an international professional network that encompasses the whole Europe.
- He spent 2000-2001 as an AFS exchange student in Brazil, and learned Portuguese while there.
Kurucu Law Offices (“KURUCU”) has been established in Ankara at the beginning of 2015 by three founding partners, each specialised in their own practice area. KURUCU is an Ankara-based law firm which provides services with its team of lawyers who can speak English at high level and are specialised in their fields, being primarily energy law, construction law and infrastructure law, FIDIC and FAR contracts and agreements law, mergers and acquisitions, project financing, international commerce, international arbitration and commercial cases. KURUCU has a liaison office in Istanbul, Turkey.
KURUCU provides legal consultation and advocacy services based on the principles of high quality, sincerity and honesty, in conjunction with various law offices and specialist technical service providers in its network, to local and foreign clientele in their projects and activities both in Turkey and abroad.
In provision of its services, KURUCU aims to provide assistance in all aspects of clients’ needs from the very start of the relevant project and/or legal process until they are completed, to be available at all times, and treat the needs of the clients as if they are KURUCU’s own needs, and to keep these aims in the foreground at every stage of KURUCU’s services.
While carrying out services, in addition to their viewpoint as lawyers, KURUCU team make a point of conducting them as a businessman by benefiting from their past experience and technical-specialist staff.