– Founding Partner, Paz Horowitz. Director, Anti-corruption and Compliance. Director of the Intellectual Property Section 1991 – present. Managing Partner (1991 – 2013).
– Manager of the IP Department, and Foreign Legal Counsel. Bustamante & Crespo, Quito (1989 – 1991).
– Director of Social Sciences, and Professor of Philosophy, Logic and Economics. Colegio Americano de Quito (1985 – 1989).
– Ohio State Legal Services Association, Executive Director direct local legal services for Southeast Ohio counties; Ohio Statewide Legal Services Training; and Multi-State Computer-Assisted Legal Research services. 1983– 1985.
– Program Evaluator for the Legal Services Corporation (1984 – 1985).
– Alaska Legal Services Corporation. (In chronological order: Law Clerk, Staff Attorney and Community Training Coordinator (Anchorage), Managing Attorney (Juneau), Supervising Attorney for Southeast Alaska, Statewide Impact Litigation Attorney, Statewide Legal Trainer, and Statewide Staff Mentoring and Evaluation (1974 – 1983).
– Volunteer, Peace Corps. Ecuadorian Amazon Basin. Land Surveyor for the Shuar Indigenous Federation (1970 – 1973).
Awards & Honors:
– LACCA Approved Attorney (2014)
– World Trademark Review (2014).
– Legal 500 (2012, 2013, 2014).
– Latin Lawyer (2012, 2013, 2014).
– IFLR 1000 (2012, 2013, 2014).
– Chambers Latin America (2012, 2013, 2014).
– Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers (2014).
– American Bar Association International: Best Community Outreach Program (2012).
– Acquisitions International: Anti-corruption Law Firm of the Year (2011).
– Award of Appreciation from Ohio State Legal Services Client Council (1985).
– Honorary Member of the Shuar Federation, Morona-Santiago, Ecuador (1973).
– Arbitrator, Quito Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Center (since 2013)
– Founder, Quito Common Law Bar Association (1996)
– American Bar Association, International Section
– International Trademark Association (INTA)
– State Capital Law Group
– International Association of Contract and Commercial Management (IACCM)
– Alaska Bar Association
– Juneau, Alaska Human Rights Commission
– U.S. Court of International Trade (1992).
– U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (1992).
– Alaska, admitted 1976, (retired 1991).
– Ohio (1985).
– U.S. Federal 9th Circuit (1982).
– U.S. Federal District Court Alaska (1977).
– Founder, and participant along with many other volunteer attorneys, in award-winning ABA International U.S. Lawyers Abroad Community Outreach Program (2010 – present), that so far has involved ABA member attorneys in (1) meetings with groups of immigrant students, (2) serving in a soup kitchen, and (3) blood drive.
– Pro bono trainings of law students, accounting and auditing graduate students, student teachers, and business graduate students in anti-corruption and anti-extortion methods (2006 – present)
– Advice, negotiations and drafting for government/private educational institution agreement on rights, use, and profits from Ecuadorian biodiversity
– Legal support for the creation of the first ecotourism joint venture between Ecuadorian and foreign environmental protection NGO’s
– Work with local legal services NGO and environmental NGO to create the first Ecological Easement in Ecuador
– Co-founder and first President of an NGO that protected Quito’s largest forested park from dismemberment by powerful private interests
– Partial, and then full pro bono project to successfully register and legally protect Ecuador’s first Denomination of Origin, MONTECRISTI, to protect the hat weavers of the world’s finest straw hats and other workers of the Montecristi region of Ecuador.
– Successful IP protection of the name and image of Mohandas K. Gandhi from being used and registered by a rice merchant in Ecuador.
– Ongoing successful protection against the use and registration as a trademark of PANAMA HAT, based on PAMANA HAT being recognized as an Ecuadorian geographical indication. (1997 – present). Partial financial support by an anonymous donor.
Paz Horowitz Abogados is widely regarded as one of Ecuador’s leading law firms.
Our recognition obeys to our professionals commitment to excellence, ethical and cost-effective legal service provided to our national and international clients.
Whether for a multinational company, an international NGO or a family business, the Law Firm provides legal advice and knowledge needed to fulfill clients’ goals.
In 1991, the Law Firm was founded by Jorge Paz Durini and Bruce Horowitz Rossen.
Currently new partners and associates are part of the Law Firm. Our efficient professional team, is always innovating in our services, facilities and technology required for a better and accurate service for our clients.