Welcome to the latest edition of Pensions News, which aims to help employers and trustees keep up to date with all the latest developments in pensions legislation, guidance and case law. This edition of Pensions News summarises the key developments from September 2014.
In This Issue:
– Budget reforms: the announcement that the 55 per cent death benefits tax charge on pension funds held in a drawdown product at death or uncrystallised after age 75 will be abolished in April 2015.
– The Pensions Regulator: information on new questions in the DB scheme return; and the publication of the staff determinations procedure that applies to cases where a decision is made by the executive arm of the regulator.
– DWP: an announcement about the removal of the NEST restrictions, which also gives some indication on the possible timescale for the introduction of the system for automatic transfers.
– Legislation: the coming into force of certain provisions of the Pensions Act 2014; the progress of the Pension Schemes Bill through Parliament and the publication of notices of amendments; and amendments to the draft updated IORP Directive.
– HMRC: the coming into force of a statutory requirement for scheme administrators to be fit and proper for the role and the publication of HMRC guidance about this requirement; and the latest Pension Schemes Services newsletter.
– Public service pension schemes: a policy note about the NHS pension scheme and Fair Deal; and an update to the directions on valuations and the employer cost cap.
– Other news: the annual review of the Pensions Advisory Service; and the Pension Protection Fund’s latest Technical News publication.