Infrastructure is the set of fundamental facilities and systems that support the sustainable functionality of households and firms. Serving a country, city, or other area, including the services and facilities necessary for its economy to function.
Norton Rose received Global Legal Adviser of the Year, Asia Pacific Legal Adviser of the Year and North America Legal Adviser of the Year accolades on July 13, 2020.
IJGlobal also honoured the law firm with thirteen Deal of the Year awards for transactions completed in Asia Pacific, Europe and Africa, Middle East and North Africa and North America.
The IJGlobal platform is for market makers to develop key relationships and partnerships to generate leads, build business and deliver projects.
Norton Rose advised on the following transactions:
- Asia Pacific Telecoms Deal of the Year – Kacific-1 Satellite
- Advised Kacific Broadband Satellites Group on credit facilities totalling US$160 million to finance the construction, launch, ground system and initial operation for Kacific-1, a Boeing-built next-generation high-throughput Ka-band satellite. Led by Nick Merritt.
- Asia Pacific Hydro Deal of the Year – Tina River Hydro
- Advised Korea Water Resources Corporation and Hyundai Engineering Company Ltd as sponsors on the 15-MW Tina River Hydro Development Project. The deal marks the first large-scale infrastructure P3 project in the Solomon Islands. Led by Nick Merritt.
- Asia Pacific Waste Deal of the Year – East Rockingham EfW
- Advised a group of five senior financiers on the East Rockingham EfW project, which will be the second waste-to-energy facility in Western Australia aimed at addressing Australia’s growing waste crisis. The project was developed by a consortium led by Tribe Infrastructure Group, New Energy Corporation and Hitachi Zosen Inova. Led by Jo Crew.
Europe & Africa
- European Portfolio Refinancing Deal of the Year – Project Keane Refinancing
- Advised Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners on the Refinancing of an entire portfolio of onshore wind assets, which includes 17 360-MW projects in Ireland. Led by Rob Marsh.
- European Refinancing Deal of the Year – Beatrice Offshore Wind
- Advised a consortium of lenders on the senior debt refinancing of the Beatrice offshore wind project in Scotland. The consortium comprises 29 commercial and institutional lenders and 24 hedging banks. Led by Rob Marsh.
- European Restructuring Deal of the Year – Irish Schools Bundle 5
- Advised DIF infra 4 Limited as shareholder of Inspiredspaces Bundle 5 Limited on the restructuring and financing of completion works in relation to the Irish Schools Bundle 5 PPP project. Led by Mark Berry.
- African Refinancing Deal of the Year – Société Ivorienne de Raffinage
- Advised Africa Finance Corporation on the debt financing of Société Ivoirienne de Raffinage under a multi-currency long-term credit agreement for approximately US$675 million. Led by Anne Lapierre.
- African Power Deal of the Year – Bridge Power
- Advised the lenders to the Bridge Power Project in Ghana, sponsored by General Electric, Endeavour Energy and the Quantum Group. The project is a fast-deployment dual-fuelled LPG and natural gas power project, comprising approximately 400 MW of combined cycle power generation technology. Co-led by Martin McCann, Charles Whitney, Dan Metcalfe and Dan Giemajner.
Middle East & North Africa
- MENA Water Deal of the Year – Taweelah IWP
- Advised lenders, including Natixis, Siemens Bank and Mizuho Bank, to the successful bidding consortium, led by ACWA Power, on the US$1.2 billion Taweelah desalination independent water project in Abu Dhabi. Led by Jo Emerson-Taqi and Paul Mansouri.
- North America Battery Storage Deal of the Year – Lāwa’i Solar and Energy Storage
- Advised Societe Generale as lenders on the financing of the combined 20 MW solar PV and 20 MW/100 MWh AES Lāwa’i Solar and Energy Storage Project in Kauai, Hawaii – the largest operational solar and storage system in the world. Co-led by Ben Koenigsberg and Jim Berger.
- North America Utility Deal of the Year – ESAP Modernisation Project
- Advised the Department of Justice in providing procurement advice and transaction support services to Public Services and Procurement Canada for the Energy Services Acquisition Program’s Energy Service Modernisation P3 project. Led by John Naccarato.
- North America Wind Deal of the Year – Clearway Repowering
- Advised Clearway Energy on the US$381 million repowering of two Texas wind farms – the 161 MW Wildorado wind farm in Oldham County and 121.9 MW Elbow Creek wind farm in Howard County. Co-led by Rob Eberhardt and Jim Berger.
- Latin America Water Deal of the Year – BRK Ambiental
- Advised sponsor BRK Ambiental Participações S.A in relation to the BRL denominated IDB financing provided in respect of BRK’s wastewater infrastructure project in Recife and Goiana in northeast Brazil. Led by Charlie Johnson.
- At last year’s awards, IJGlobal recognised Norton Rose Fulbright as Legal Adviser of the Year – North America and the firm advised on 18 Deals of the Year. The year prior, Norton Rose Fulbright was named Global Law Firm of the Year and Europe and Africa Law Firm of the Year, while advising on 15 Deals of the Year.