Elon Musk, the founder and CEO of SpaceX, is a notorious workaholic.
During high periods of stress he’s been known to sleep on the floor of his factory so he can work nearly around the clock, and hates having his time wasted with unnecessary meetings.
But many people still want to work for him at SpaceX.
Part of that might be related to the perks that Musk offers his employees. Former employee Josh Boehm worked from Musk at SpaceX and shared on Quora how he encouraged employees to put up with the long hours.
1. The office perks start out relatively simple — Musk provides free dinners, coffee, and froyo to employees.
2. Despite requiring a lot from employees, Musk takes the time to send encouraging emails and deliver speeches to employees.
3. The next perk, an in-house masseuse, is a little more lavish and probably helps with the stress of working long hours.
4. Celebrity spottings are another perk. “I saw Jennifer Aniston having lunch with Elon at the table across from me, ran into Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the bathroom, and had other people like Will Smith and Morgan Freeman come through the factory while I was working,” Boehm said.
5. Well-known people, like actor George Takei and co-founder of Reddit Jeremy Edberg, give private talks to employees.
6. Musk has bought out all the tickets in a particular show in a movie theater for movies like Gravity and The Martian “which is a lot more fun when SpaceX buys out all the tickets and you watch with a bunch of smart-asses who are actually rocket scientists!” according to Boehm.
7. But the biggest perk is the culture of SpaceX itself and the opportunity to work in a rocket factory. Employees would gather “outside of mission control for the launches, which was an amazing experience to be a part of when you’ve all been working your butts off for that moment,” Boehm said.