Prior to joining KAA, Sam Mayanja was the principal partner of Sam Mayanja & Co. Advocates. His main focus is the banking and financial field and he has represented numerous commercial and banking companies. He is recognised as a leading authority on the Ugandan banking and financial services sector by the International Edition of Who’s Who in Global Banking.
When Sam was Bank Secretary to the Uganda Development Bank, he represented the Uganda Bankers Association in drafting the present code of conduct of Ugandan Banks, and was part of the team that assisted in the drafting of the current Financial Institutions Act. In addition to his role in the banking sector, Sam was appointed as a consultant by the Non-Performing Assets Recovery Trust (NPART) in the recovery of the now defunct Uganda Commercial Bank’s non-performing loans.
Sam has advised the Bank of Uganda (Agricultural Policy Secretariat) on how to handle the Ginnery loans extended to cotton ginneries by the World Bank through the now defunct Co-operative Bank. He assisted the Ministry of Finance in its negotiations with Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) on its assumption of the Ginnery loans formerly handled by the Cooperative Bank.
In international circles, Sam was engaged by the World Bank in drawing up legal structures for the Northern Transport & Transit Corridor covering the countries of Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo. He was also a legal adviser to the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa on the Trans-African Highways Programme, where he helped set up the Secretariat of the Trans-Africa Highway Authority (Lagos-Mombasa) at Bangui, Central African Republic.
Sam is also a senior lecturer at Nkumba University, where he teaches Insurance, Banking and Commercial Law. In past years, he was also a lecturer at the Law Development Centre and the Uganda Christian University, Mukono. As a member of the Uganda Institute of Corporate Governance, he is a regular contributor to its quarterly magazine, Sustainable Wealth.
As of August 2012, Mr. Mayanja was prestigiously appointed to the Transport Practice group of World Bank and assigned as a lead consultant.
– 1976, LLB (Hons), Makerere University, Kampala
– 1977, Dip. L.P, Law Development Centre, Kampala
– 1980, Master of Laws (LLM) (specialised in Insurance), Makerere University, Kampala
– Banking and Finance
– Corporate Governance, Capital Markets and Securities
– Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy
– Negotiating And Drafting Interstate Protocols Especially In Areas Of Interstate Transport
Certifications & Membership:
– Member, Law Society in Uganda
– Advocate, High Court of Uganda
– Advocate, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Uganda
– Member, Uganda Bankers Association (representing Uganda Development Bank from 1990 to 1999)
– Member, Panel of Arbitrators of the Uganda Centre for Arbitration and Conciliation (specialising in bank laws in particular and commercial laws in general)
– Member, United Nations Institute for Training and Research of the East African Development Bank
– Member, Commonwealth Association for Corporate Governance
At KAA we aspire to be a market leader in the legal profession and a world class law firm of choice in Uganda through provision of innovative practical legal solutions and maintain the highest levels of customer service and professional integrity, through our professional, dynamic and responsive teams.
– Great teamwork requires a shared vision and passion. At the heart of KAA is a team working together to ensure that that we deliver first class legal services to our clients by providing practical, innovative and legally sound solutions. But effective teamwork also requires leaders who put the team’s interest before their own and inspire others to reach their full potential.
– At KAA, we believe that our reputation is important and behaving with the highest levels of integrity is fundamental to who we are. We demonstrate a strong commitment to sustainable, responsible business practices.
– We will anticipate and understand our clients’ needs. We will share knowledge, opportunities and best practices for the benefit of our clients and development of our people. At KAA, we work together to bring resources and expertise to serve all client needs promptly, proactively, effectively and efficiently. We always communicate regularly and clearly with our clients looking to achieve the end result desired by our clients.
– At KAA, we strive to become one of the most sought-after providers of legal services by always endeavoring to be better tomorrow than we are today, investing in our people development while attaining the highest level of competence in our areas of practice and achieving the highest standards of quality and innovation in everything we do as a firm.