Marjorie Rawls Roberts is our exclusively recommended Economic Development Services expert in the U.S. Virgin Islands on the Advisory Excellence website. If you need assistance in this area, please contact Marjorie directly using the contact details listed above.
Marjorie, known as “Jorie,” founded her private practice in 1999 after 19 years of working in both the private and public sectors in the US Virgin Islands. Her firm, Marjorie Rawls Roberts, P.C., is composed of seven attorneys who specialise in taxation, corporate and securities law, estate planning, and business law in the US Virgin Islands.
Jorie works closely with the US Virgin Islands’ Economic Development Commission and the Research and Technology Park of the University of the Virgin Islands, enabling her clients to obtain tax-incentive benefits in exchange for providing employment, investing capital in the territory, or collaborating with local civic organisations and the University of the Virgin Islands to expand the territory’s technology sector.
In addition, Jorie works with the local Division of Corporations to establish and operate US Virgin Islands exempt companies, which are primarily foreign-owned corporations that receive significant tax benefits for their global operations.
Jorie advises clients on the Opportunity Zones incentives in the US Virgin Islands, as authorised by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, which provides exciting investment opportunities for residents and non-residents, and also advises clients on the tax statutes that have been enacted in response to the global Covid-19 pandemic.
Marjorie Rawls Roberts, P.C. was established in 1999 to advise companies and individuals on a full range of tax and business legal issues in the US Virgin Islands.
We provide a wide range of tax-law services:
- Tax planning covering the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, British Virgin Islands, international, US, Caribbean and Central America
- Individual tax advice on residency determinations, investment structures, and filing requirements
- Representation before the Virgin Islands Bureau of Internal Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service
- Tax controversy work including litigation in the US District Courts, the Courts of Appeal, and the US Tax Court
- Estate and gift-tax planning, asset protection planning, wills and trusts, and probate and trust administration.
- Establishment and operation of US Virgin Islands exempt international insurers, exempt companies, and International Banking Entities.
- Business planning, entity selection, asset sales and acquisitions, joint ventures, regulatory and reporting compliance, and real estate transactions.
We also provide general corporate guidance, with a focus on business transactions and the application of federal securities laws to businesses in the US Virgin Islands. We also provide local counsel to several law firms and accounting firms based on the US mainland and elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Our clients span a variety of industries, including hotels, fund managers, investment banking operations, investment advisers, management and consulting firms, family offices, internet-based businesses, telecommunications companies, financial institutions, major accounting firms, commercial water suppliers, real estate developers, timeshares, eco-resorts, restaurants, shopping centres, marine businesses, oil terminals, and tourist attractions.
Many of our clients have global operations, and we have French, Spanish, Arabic, and Hebrew speakers on our team. Our attorneys travel regularly for business and can arrange to meet with prospective clients outside the US Virgin Islands upon appointment.
We are able to provide a multi-faceted approach for each client. For example, we can combine tax planning, including qualification for US Virgin Islands economic incentives, with business-entity selection and estate planning. We focus on each client’s unique needs, with the ability to think and plan strategically to meet them. Our goal is to offer a comprehensive, client-centred approach to meet our clients’ business, tax, and commercial legal needs.