Akram Sheikh is our exclusively recommended Human Rights Law expert in Pakistan on the Advisory Excellence website. If you need assistance in this area, please contact Akram directly using the contact details listed above.
Akram is a Senior Advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan and is well renowned, in Pakistan and abroad, as an outstanding jurist.
- Graduated in law from Punjab University in 1970 and commenced post-graduate studies at Queen Mary University of London in 1972.
- Started legal practice in 1973.
- Conferred status of Senior Advocate by full Supreme Court for exceptional services towards development of constitutional and criminal law.
Has advocated numerous ground-breaking cases, reported in national and international law journals, such as:
- 1983 case of Safia Bibi, a blind girl and rape victim, charged and convicted for giving birth to an illegitimate child and sentenced to imprisonment and flogging (reported as PLD 1985 FSC 120) revolutionising Muslim law on rape and criminal evidence, Is taught in universities of Pakistan and abroad.
- 1990 spearheaded introduction of Provincial Banking freeing the sector from Federal regulatory control.
- 1999 case of Sheikh Liaquat Hussain (reported as PLD 1999 SC 504) laying down principles regarding role of the Army as agent of Federal Government;
- 2001 case of Asfandyar Wali Khan (reported as PLD 2001 SC 607) regarding extra territorial nature of anti-corruption law;
- Prosecuted Military Dictator Gen. Pervaiz Musharraf for Abrogating Constitution under the guise of Emergency Plus in 2007;
- In 2007 led the movement for restoration of over 60 judges of Superior Courts in Pakistan and beyond, activating the American, Canadian, English and European Bar Associations. Activated American Bar Association (ABA) which led a procession in Washington for the restoration judiciary of Pakistan;
- Argued against Emergency Rule in Pakistan (November 2007), before the Supreme Court.
- Made efforts for restoration of Superior Judiciary which resulted in ouster of the Dictator.
- Held prestigious offices of Secretary General, Vice Chairman and President of Bar Councils including the Pakistan Bar Council.
- Has held important positions at national and international level such as Ambassador at Large with status of Federal Minister, Roving Ambassador of Pakistan.
- Elected Council member of the Commonwealth Lawyer’s Association (CLA), active member of the American Bar Association (ABA) and LawAsia and Union International des Advocates (UIA).
- Contributed over 500 articles on various subjects including Disarmament, Human Rights, Criminal Laws and Eradication of Corruption.
Akram Sheikh Law Associates is one of the most prominent and prestigious law firm in Pakistan.
The firm was formed in 1974 by its founding member Mohammad Akram Sheikh. Mr. Sheikh was bestowed the title of Senior Advocate in 1993 for his services to the legal fraternity and an outstanding assistance to Supreme Court of Pakistan. He has also been the former President of Supreme Court Bar Association. In the book titled “Encyclopedia of Commercial Litigation” published by Kluwer, he scribed chapter of Pakistan.
Akram Sheikh Law Associates has a long established reputation as the corporate and commercial litigation law firm, offering extensive range of services to diverse clientele including multinationals, financial institutions, public and private sector bodies, entrepreneurs and individuals.