Stewart Germann is our exclusively recommended Franchise Law expert in New Zealand on the Advisory Excellence website. If you need assistance in this area, please contact Stewart directly using the contact details listed above.
Stewart is a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand and he attended the University of Auckland. He has the qualifications of B.Com, LLB, FCIS, CFInstD and Notary Public and he specialises in franchising, licensing, sale and purchase of businesses and commercial law.
Stewart has over 40 years’ experience in franchising law and has acted for many franchisors in New Zealand and overseas. He also acts for franchisees advising them about a particular franchise and commenting on the form of franchise documents.
From 1997 to 1999 Stewart was the Chairman of the Franchise Association of New Zealand. He has spoken at franchising conferences in New Zealand, Australia and USA and is very interested in international franchising. He has also written numerous articles on franchising for New Zealand and international publications.
Stewart is a member of the International Franchise Association based at Washington DC and of the International Bar Association.
Stewart is a qualified mediator and is a member of AMINZ. He is also on the Panel of Mediators of the Franchise Association of New Zealand.
In 2020 Stewart was awarded CFEby the IFA and he is the only person in New Zealand with CFE
We are a boutique commercial law firm in Auckland specialising in franchising, licensing, the sale and purchase of businesses and providing notarial services.
SGL is a member of the Franchise Association of New Zealand, the Franchise Council of Australia Limited, the International Franchise Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association and the International Bar Association.
Stewart Germann has a proven track record in New Zealand and overseas which includes the following:
- First franchisor client in 1980.
- Instrumental in the formation of the Franchise Association of New Zealand in 1996.
- Wrote the original rules for the Franchise Association of New Zealand.
- Board Member of the New Zealand Franchise Association for many years.
- Chairman of the Franchise Association of New Zealand from 1997 to 1999.
- Elected to the Board of the Supplier Forum of the International Franchise Association (IFA) in 2001 (first person from outside the USA and Canada) and re-elected in 2004 for a further 3 year term.
- Included in the International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers.
- Speaker on franchising law at conferences in New Zealand, Australia and the USA.
- World Franchise Council Representative from 1997 to 1999.
- Speaker in the UK on franchising on behalf of the British Franchise Association.
- Actively involved in international franchising.
- Published many articles in International Franchise Journals.
- Notary Public for life and able to witness documents for use in overseas jurisdictions.
In relation to business law Stewart has revised the chapter in the Legal Practice Manual on agreements for sale and purchase of businesses for the Auckland District Law Society and he is the author of the Sale of Business chapter in the Laws of New Zealand as published by Butterworths.
Stewart has presented papers at many franchise conferences in New Zealand, Australia and the United States of America.