Maria Gabriela Alaña Castro advises Mexican and foreign entities on real estate, corporate, financial and banking matters. Maria represents Mexican and foreign real estate developers of office, multi-family, retail and resort project. She also counsels clients in matters relating to the development and implementation of corporate and financial structures and has broad experience representing clients in acquisitions and dispositions.
Maria is a member of DLA Piper’s North American Pro Bono Committee.
– Grupo Sordo Madaleno: all aspects of the acquisition of real estate in multiple Mexican states and drafting and negotiating joint ventures with foreign and local partners for the construction,development and operation of mixed-use projects, including office and retail
– Grupo Sordo Madaleno: joint investment with one of the largest Canadian pension funds for MX$2,500 million pesos (US$130 million) to develop and operate mixed-use projects in strategic locations in México City and various Mexican states
– Desarrollos Inmobiliarios Mar y Tierra, S.A. de C.V.: drafting and negotiating a joint venture with a local partner for the construction, development and operation of a mixed-use project, including office and retail, in the high-end Polanco area in México City, and the implementation of an administration trust agreement
– Bovis Lend Lease, S.A. de C.V.: drafting project management agreements for the development of office space and negotiating project management agreements
– Large and medium-sized clients (both landlords and tenants) in drafting and negotiating office leases in Class A and stand-alone premises, and drafting and negotiating lease and other guarantees
– Prudential Real Estate Investments: acquisition of properties in various states in México, negotiation of JVs with local partners for the development, management and operation of industrial parks, and drafting and negotiating landlords in build-to-suit leases
– Controladora de Terminales de México: drafting and negotiating build to suit and other leases
– Marriott: due diligence for the acquisition of land in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur México, for the development of a hotel and residential project, and the negotiation of a lease for Marriott’s corporate offices in México City
United Mexican States
Before joining DLA Piper, Maria was a partner in the law firm Gallástegui y Lozano, S.C. GyL, which combined with DLA Piper in February 2015. Earlier in her career, Maria practiced in a prominent Mexican law firm, focusing on real estate, corporate and securities matters. She was also a banker at BBVA Bancomer, one of México’s largest banks.
– LL.M., International Business Transactions, University of San Francisco 2000
– Law Degree (Licenciatura en Derecho), Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico 1996
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help clients with their legal needs around the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality and value to our clients.
We achieve this through practical and innovative legal solutions that help our clients succeed. We deliver consistent services across our platform of practices and sectors in all matters we undertake.
Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies. They include more than half of the Fortune 250 and nearly half of the FTSE 350 or their subsidiaries. We also advise governments and public sector bodies.