Krishna Savjani OBE SC, Barrister-at-Law (England), Senior Counsel (SC)(Malawi), the Honorary British Consul is the firm’s Sole Equity Partner. Mr Savjani was awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE) by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
According to Chambers Global, who have interviewed parties in Malawi and elsewhere Krishna Savjani has been described as “equally at home in the boardroom and the courtroom”. Clients admire his combination of local understanding and international experience and praise his “ability to plan ahead”. Mr Savjani has also been described as “superb” and “clever”. He is widely assessed by the market as “the country’s leading commercial and banking lawyer”. He is sought out for the most complex matters and praised for the speed and depth of his advice: “He is an astute man, methodical and a deep thinker”. Corporate investors appreciate his discreet approach and in-depth knowledge of the Malawian market.
- Barrister-at-law (Gray’s Inn)
- 1977 – to date Sole Equity Partner at Savjani & Co.
- Order of the British Empire (OBE) awarded by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
- Senior Counsel – appointment made by the President of Malawi
- Honorary British Consul since 1998
- Honorary legal advisor to the British High Commission
- Listed as Malawi’s leading lawyer in Chamber’s Global and as the only lawyer in Band 1.
- A member of the four person Advisory Committee (comprising the Chief Justice, the Attorney General, the President of the Malawi Law Society and Mr. Savjani) on the appointment of Senior Counsel
- Chairman of the Malawi Stock Exchange from 2000 to 2010
- Chairman of the Giants Group of Malawi
- Chairman of the Board of Governors of South End Primary and Secondary Schools
- Trustee of the Friends of Sick Children
- Chairman of Ameca Healthcare Trust
Savjani & Co. is one of the largest leading law firms in Malawi. The firm is regularly listed as Malawi’s leading law firm by Chambers Global as the Tier 1 law firm in Malawi – the only firm to be so rated. The firm was established in 1977 by Mr. Krishna Savjani OBE SC. Based in Blantyre, the country’s commercial capital, the firm offers extensive insight into the opportunities and intricacies of Malawi’s economic and legal environments.
Savjani & Co. is recognized both for its depth of knowledge of the Malawian market and its international experience and skill level. The firm has an outstanding reputation amongst national and international corporations. Its client base includes major agricultural, banking, bottling, brewing, broadcasting, freight forwarding, insurance, mining, telecommunications, and petroleum, railway, sugar, tea and tobacco companies.
Savjani & Co. seeks to provide top quality focussed and consistent advice and seeks to respond with agility. It is committed to continuous improvement of performance and services. Its lawyers strive for excellence at all times and value teamwork.
It is a full service law firm. The legal profession in Malawi is fused and hence Savajni & Co. provides both advisory and advocacy services. The combination of our expertise and commitment has attracted an extensive international and local client base.
Krishna Savjani, the firm’s Managing Director, is currently the Honorary British Consul in Blantyre, the Honorary Legal Adviser to the British High Commission and was awarded the Order of the British Empire by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
Chambers Global recognize Mr. Savjani as having an remarkable reputation for his finance and commercial work, litigation practice and syndicated loans practice. Mr. Savjani’s peers said in 2016 Chambers Global: “He has a lot of experience, and there is hardly a transaction that would be new to him. Coupled with the discipline and drive to deliver on deadline, that makes him an outstanding leading lawyer.”
Other lawyers who are well commended for their expertise in the firm are Davis Njobvu and Duncan Singano.