Santiago O’Conor is our exclusively recommended Trademark Law expert in Argentina on the Advisory Excellence website. If you need assistance in this area, please contact Santiago directly using the contact details listed above.
Santiago is the managing partner of O’Conor & Power Abogados-Propiedad Industrial, a solid and reliable team of IP practitioners based in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Santiago specialises in all aspects of intellectual property, principally trademarks, advising domestic and foreign companies on local and international IP law, prosecution and litigation in Argentina and Latin America. He advises Forbes and Fortune 500 companies in a variety of industries, such as technology and telecommunications, software, pharmaceutical products, luxury goods, agriculture, food, wine, and entertainment.
Santiago professional IP experience spans over 36 years and includes being an associate of the largest worldwide law office, and Partner and Head of the International Trademark practice of the most important law office in Argentina for 23 years. The expertise he has gained over this long career has made Santiago the beloved darling of many international brand owners.
Santiago is a graduate of the faculty of law of the University of Buenos Aires and an industrial property agent. He has gained postgraduate qualifications from the Fordham IP Institute in New York and at the Program of Instruction for Lawyers (PIL) at Harvard Law School.
Prolific author of many articles and publications, among others:
- “The IP Private Practitioner”,Managing Intellectual Property magazine, mayo, 2009.
- “La Aduana Argentina detiene la importación de productos falsificados”, International Law News – American Bar Association, 2008.
- “Nombres genéricos para productos farmacéuticos” ITMA Bulletin, 2002.
- “El Protocolo de Armonización en el Mercosur”, Revista Trademark World, Nº 118.
- “Shutting down rogue websites. Argentina and Latin America Perspective, American Bar Association, 2014.
- “TIPS for Trademark Protection in Latin America”, 2014.
- “Aduana y Propiedad Industrial: herramienta en la lucha contra la piratería”, World Trademark Review (WTR), 2016.
- “Plain Packaging status in Latin America: Intellectual Property Owners Association, 2016”.
- “Free Trade Agreement between Mercosur and The European Union”, 2018.
- “Non-traditional Marks in Latin America: the current landscape”, WTR, 2019.
- “Fakes in Argentina: hotspots”, WTR, 2019.
Santiago is an active participant in many IP international associations, in particular INTA, the Chartered Institute of Trademark Attorneys, the European Communities Trademark Association, the Pharmaceutical Trademarks Group and the Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property, in which he served and is serving in many positions. He is presently Judge of the Court of the Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI), as well as President of the Legislation Committee of said organisation. Santiago is presently a member of the INTA’s Trademark Office Practice Committee (2020 – 2021).